Whole of Life
Why Zurich Whole of Life?
Zurich Whole of Life cover has no upper age limit, it protects your client for the whole of their life should they die or be diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Whole of life is suitable for certain circumstances that your client may want to cover, such as:
- Protecting assets through inheritance tax planning
- Funeral planning
We’ve built our whole of life protection in a way that lets your client choose the cover they want, and change it when their life changes.
Summary of cover
Whole of life cover
- Single life
- Joint life first death
- Joint life second death
- Terminal illness
- Free cover during underwriting
Additional benefits that can be added on to the policy at an extra cost:
- Waiver of premium
Choose the cover that’s right for your client
- Choose cover on a single life or joint life first or second death basis
- Choice of level or an increasing cover option
- Increasing cover options of 3%, 5% or RPI
- Choice of monthly or annual premiums
- Guaranteed premiums (unless cover changes or increases)
Detail of cover
Life cover Age at policy start Minimum Maximum Single person policy 16 83 Joint life policy - sum assured to be paid out after the first life assured dies 16 69 Joint life policy - sum assured to be paid out after both lives assured die 16 83
- You must be a UK resident when your policy starts
- Minimum premium £8 a month or £80 a year.
Benefits Details Free life cover during underwriting Cover for up to £1,000,000 during underwriting. Single & joint life policies
- Single life – pays out on death or diagnosis of terminal illness.
- Joint life first death – pays out on first death or diagnosis of terminal illness on joint policy.
- Joint life second death – pays out on second death or diagnosis of terminal illness on joint policy.
Terminal illness Cover for up to £1,000,000 during underwriting.
Waiver of premium
We’ll pay the premiums on the policy if your client is too ill or injured to work for more than 6 months and they can’t perform their current job. For joint policies, this benefit can be added for either or both lives assured.
We’ve built our products in a way that lets your clients choose the level of cover they want, and change it when their life changes. And we’ve made it much easier to do. So where we can, we’ve made it possible for you to make changes without having to go through underwriting and asking your clients questions about their health, or changes in their personal circumstances.
As an adviser you will have the ability to make changes to your client’s whole of life policy. You can access this through our online adviser portal.
A lot can happen between the day your client takes out whole of life protection and the day they need to make a claim. They might get married, have a child, change jobs or get a promotion. They’ll need cover that reflects these changes.
When significant events happen, your client can change their sum assured using the milestone benefit without answering any questions about their health. If your client uses the milestone benefit, their premiums will change.
Some of the significant events are listed below:
Take out a mortgage or increase the mortgage they already have
Become a parent
Starting a family
Get married or enter a civil partnership
Get a pay rise of 10% or more
Divorce, separate or dissolve a civil partnership
Have an increase in their inheritance tax liability
The maximum increase your client can make to their sum assured is the lower of their original sum assured or £200,000.
This benefit must be used within 90 days of the significant life event and can only be used if the client is 54 years old or younger.
- Increase the sum assured
- Add waiver of premium
- Review the premium if your client previously smoked
- Reduce the amount sum assured
- Remove waiver of premium
- Remove increasing cover
- Change the rate on increasing cover
Zurich Support Services
Our relationship with your client doesn’t begin and end with a medical crisis or a claim. They have access to Zurich Support Services, an independent team of counsellors, advisers and legal experts. They’re a phone call away whenever your client – or member of their family – needs them.
Talk to the team about anything at any time
Your client can talk to them about anything, from daily worries to major life events. Even if the team can’t help on the call, they can point them in the direction of someone who can. Here are just some of the things people pick up the phone to talk about:
- Looking for a job
- Paying back debts
- Managing household bills
- Checking consumer rights
Big life events
- Planning a wedding
- Facing separation or divorce
- Dealing with bereavement or loss
- Moving to a new house
- Coping with anxiety or depression
- Living with illness or disability
- Revisiting life goals
- Asking about therapy
- Dealing with pressure or stress
- Balancing work with a private life
- Facing bullying or harassment
- Understanding employment rights
Making a claim
If someone needs to make a whole of life claim for your client, they’ll have a lot going on, so we’ve made it as easy as we can. They’ll have their own dedicated claims specialist who’ll be with them every step of the way.
For life cover claims
For more information on making a claim, visit our claims page.